Stuff you need, (these are all rough guides, you can add/subtract as needed, i use different amounts each time). This should serve around one person:
- 1 garlic clove
- 3-4 slices of bacon per person
- 1 leek per person
- a little oil
- salt and pepper (pepper from a grinder is far better)
- mixed herbs
- creme fraise
- pasta (two cups per person)
- First chop up the garlic as small as possible, stick in frying pan with a little oil, fry it for a minute at the most.
- Secondly, cut the bacon up into rough squares and stick it in the frying pan with the garlic. Fry for a few minutes until it looks cooked.
- Then for the leeks. Top/tail them then cut down the middle of the leek to wash, then slice. Now fry them for a few minutes with the garlic and bacon until they go soft.
- Now to your garlic, bacon and leek mixture add a good amount of mixed herbs, salt and pepper. It is essential to put enough of all three!
- Get the pasta going at the same time, plenty of water. Add a little salt and oil to the water. Often better to do the pasta for slightly less time that the packet says, for a slightly firmer feel.
- After a few mins (when pasta is basically done), add about 1 or 2 tablespoons of creme fraise to your garlic, bacon and leek mixture , mix it about, you will have to judge for yourself, does it look like enough once it is mixed in? It should not look like it is swimming in cream, just enough so that everything has a coating (remember how it looked on the plate) though it is down to taste. add more as needed.
- At the same time, as soon as pasta is done, drain and put back in the pan.
- Finally mix the pasta and sauce together and serve.
(for info, i used 8 slices of thin taste the difference bacon, three v large cups of pasta and 3 medium sized leeks for the three of us)